Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Do you need the best equipment & facilities to get results? NAH!

I was thinking about this the other day. Some of the best strength and conditioning is going on at places you've never heard of. Universities, high schools, and gyms (and even a lowly JUCO) that are not "big time". A couple of years ago I visited the Hungarian weightlifting training hall and got a chance to sit down with their head coach Imre Szuga to pick his brain. Looking around the room I thought to myself, 'wow, I have better equipment than this!'. It was then that I truly understood that the programming, effort, and teaching trumps everything else. Who cares if you have the latest Powerlift squat racks and glute hams? So what if my platforms are made out of plywood from Home Depot rather than from custon stressed hickory wood. My success here is not based on having the best equipment or being at the "big time" school....it's based on the fact that we teach and train harder than anybody else.

Here are a couple of pics of the Hungarian Training Hall......FAR from fancy but with world class results. The Girl with me in the 3rd pic is Gyongi Lickerez.....at the age of 15 Gyongi set a Jr. world record with a 100kg (220lb.) snatch and a 122.5kg (270lb.) clean and Jerk in the 148lb. weight class (for reference sake the American records are only a couple of pounds more than this....she did these lifts @ the age of 15!).
Wont' find this glute-ham in any fancy equipment catalogs!

Moral of the story? Just DO WORK already! Great thing happen to those who work HARD.